Major CFB Program Just Lost Another Top Recruit

first_imgA detail of a Nike official NCAA size football as it sits in the end zone while the West Virginia Mountaineers stretchon the field prior to playing against the Clemson Tigers during the Discover Orange Bowl at Sun Life Stadium.(Photo by Streeter Lecka/Getty Images)The University of Florida’s football program has been hemorrhaging recruits over the past two weeks.Former four-star quarterback Jalon Jones kicked off the exodus when he announced his plans to enter the transfer portal – although serious allegations followed him out the door.Jones was just the beginning as fellow four-star 2019 recruit Chris Steele entered the transfer portal as well. Steele alleged the program wouldn’t let him change rooms after being forced to room with Jones.As a result, he decided to take his talents elsewhere.But that’s not all for the Gators. Dan Mullen and company lost out on several top recruits when previously committed players decided to reopen their recruitment.Bryce Langston, one of the top prospects in the 2021 class, decommitted from the Gators earlier this week. Not long after, Dink Jackson followed suit and left the Gators 2021 class.I’ve decided to decommit from the University of Florida. My recruitment is open. No interviews please.— Dink9⚠️🏈🙏🏾 (@dink_jackson) May 10, 2019The recent rash of transfers and decommitments isn’t a good look for Gators head coach Dan Mullen, especially considering the recent comments he made about Justin Fields’ decision to leave Georgia.“I’d think we did a poor job recruiting if guys were coming in and then immediately walking out the door because it was something different than what they thought it would be and we lied to them during recruiting, or we sold them on a dream that wasn’t true,” Mullen said via the Tampa Bay Times.It might be time for Mullen to look into his own practices after losing top players.last_img read more

UN environmental agency hails ASEAN fire haze agreement as model for world

The Agreement on Transboundary Haze Pollution adopted by the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) provides for heat-seeking satellites, better-trained fire fighters and a crack down on arsonists and irresponsible plantation owners. It is the first regional arrangement in the world binding a group of contiguous states to tackle haze pollution from land and forest fires.”I congratulate ASEAN and the Governments of Southeast Asia for their foresight and commitment in combating the threats posed by uncontrolled land and forest fires,” UNEP Executive Director Klaus Toepfer said in a statement. “Such fires spell a double disaster for the environment through their massive release of greenhouse gases and their destruction of biodiversity.”About 10 million hectares of Indonesia’s forests, one of the world’s centres of biodiversity, were destroyed in 1997-98 in fires started mainly on oil palm plantations and agricultural and forestry holdings on the islands of Sumatra and Kalimantan. More than 20 million people were exposed to breathing extremely high levels of pollutants known to cause both acute and long-term health effects, airports in Singapore and neighbouring countries were closed by thick smog, and total economic losses across the region were estimated at around $9.3 billion.Beginning in March 2001 UNEP, in collaboration with the ASEAN Secretariat, assisted government negotiators in developing the terms of the agreement, providing for monitoring, assessment and prevention; technical cooperation and scientific research; mechanisms for coordination, lines of communication, information exchange; simplified customs and immigration procedures for emergency response and disaster relief; and the establishment of an ASEAN Coordinating Centre for activities. read more